(noun)
1. An insignificant, foolish, or socially inept person; a person who is boringly conventional or studious (Oxford English Dictionary).
2. A person who #1 - knows what the Oxford English Dictionary is and #2 - thinks to use it to define a word.
3. Someone who buys a Norton Anthology and instead of thinking "man, this is big and expensive!" thinks "yes! I can add this to my collection!"
4. Someone who likens linguistic theory to church doctrine.
5. Someone who notices particularly the power of the alliteration in the word choice of the guest speaker in Stake Conference.
6. (insert picture of me).
Geek
ReplyDelete(adverb)
1. an unfashionable or socially inept person; an obsessive enthusiast.
2. Someone who has the "knack"
3. Someone who sees the world in Free Body Diagrams
4. someone who asks themselves whenever they see something new "I wonder how that works..."
5. An Engineer....
Great post, Kathryn!
Hey! I want to do it too!
ReplyDeleteNerd:
1. Some who can't spell anymore becuase they are constantly thinking in International Phonetic Alaphabet.
2. Someone who goes to Walmart and the Dollar stores at least once a week to buy clinic materials, and Alphagraphics every other day to laminate something.
3. Someone who has children's book take up half of their bookcase.
4. Someone who thinks in animal sounds and rhymes. (The cow says moo, the cow says moo....)
5. Someone who observes children on the bus and at church and figures out how old they are by their MLU.
6. An SLP!
Since when is geek an adverb?
ReplyDeleteopps
ReplyDeleteIt's ok. I said a nerd was an adjective originally. Good thing I'm an English major, eh?
ReplyDelete