If Kathryn were to go on a study abroad within the next year, where should she go?
1. CAMBRIDGE FOR 8 WEEKS DURING THE SUMMER!
On a more affordable note:
2. Mexico during Spring Semester (great for a Spanish minor).
Consider:
1. The clock is ticking, and there's a chance she wouldn't go on a summer abroad program if she decides to serve a mission, or gets married, or finds an internship, etc..
2. She's currently not a Spanish minor.
3. She doesn't have a job.
4. She's currently dating someone.
So. Should she go with something realistic and affordable? Should she set her sights on something she's wanted to do since she drooled over her brother's pictures and try really hard to get it to happen? Any suggestions on programs she could look at that aren't too expensive? Is a study abroad really the right thing for her to do?
All suggestions are welcome and appreciated. :)
I have a wonderful suggestion. I will go out and buy some posters of exotic places, and pile spices and scarves from distant lands in the corners of my room. Then you can come over every day, and I will speak no English to you, and we can study together and play together all day long. Then you can go home at night and see your family and this "someone," do some RS visits, and come back to me the next day. Best of both worlds!
ReplyDeleteMeredith, I'm in! What a spectacular suggestion. There would be a significant language barrier though...I don't know ANY Hebrew.
ReplyDeleteThought number one:
ReplyDelete1) This is the best time in our life for crazy dream-chasing. If it's something remotely possible, why not make it happen?
The opportunity to go study in Cambridge isn't going to make sense in any other stage of life.
But, if reality dictates it really truly is NOT possible (which decision should only be come to after trying to defy reality has proven otherwise), then pursue some other options.
2)Missions/marriages do win over study abroad. But... they're also considerably harder to plan for. So maybe take steps towards a plannable goal, and then if something else comes up, you can always change your plan. But if other plans aren't in place, you might regret not taking the opportunity.
(Also... in my mind, the clock isn't really ticking. we're 20. and missions can be served at 21.5 or 22 just as easily as 21. )
also... 8 weeks isn't very long.
3) if you go to Mexico, I want in.
4) I think I sound a little bit foolish and reckless. But mostly I just want you to be happy and to explore the option of a dream.
I keep learning that dreams are closer at our fingertips than we realize, and sometimes we brush them off as impossible. It's surprised me what's waiting in store if we take advantage of it.
5) maybe we could road-trip to Mexico? y podriamos hablar un poco espanol? and pretend it's the same as a study-abroad?