April 26, 2010

Happy Sign


A sign proclaiming "It's a Girl!!" greets passers-by of Utah's Hogle Zoo.

I saw this sign about a week ago and got so excited and happy that I had to point it out with excitement to a girl I hardly know who was sitting by me on the bus that day. It's too bad I can't find a picture of the sign - it would make you happy too.

I realize now, as I write this, that the sign is merely a form of zoo advertisement. But it's still great that a phrase I usually associate with tiny baby girls has been applied to a large elephant that probably weighs almost twice as much as me. Also, the zoo proclaiming that puts them in a parental position, and that's a bit comical. Mostly, the situation is cute.


By the way, elephants are pregnant for 22 months. And their babies are called calves.

I'm glad I'm not an elephant.

No comments:

Post a Comment