My teacher was (and I'm sure she continues to be) one of the most confident people I know. When she was my teacher, she was a single mom with no spouse to celebrate her successes or compliment her ideas. But she worked with what she had - herself. Like Peter Pan, she said, in effect, "Oh, the cleverness of me!"
Our cleverness ought to be recognized, nay, demands recognition. Not everyone, especially adult women, receives recognition for what they do. This fact is to be expected, but not necessarily left unaltered. We are just as good at complimenting ourselves as anyone else. Working hard can be rewarded and encouraged by the little things we tell ourselves. Thinking "I started my day of so well by exercising! Good for me!" is much more motivating than "He doesn't even know how hard I worked this morning to look like this" or "I wonder if all the other people here know what I've been through." I'm no psychology academic, but I know from experience that our mental workings are crucial to our inertia. Go team!
No comments:
Post a Comment