
One morning last Spring, I walked with my good friend Jared Reid towards the baptistry door of the Salt Lake Temple. I lifted my eyes from the spring blooms gracing the grounds of temple square to glance up at the City Creek skyline. My gaze caught on the Deseret Book Company sign bordering the top of the Deseret Book tower, and I sighed. Basking in the sign's serif-fonted glory, I said with a hopeful air, "Jared, I want to work there someday." He smiled over at me and tried to offer encouragement. "Yeah...maybe someday."
Today's email from Sis. Barker of Deseret Book Company Human Resources:
Kathryn,
Thank you for coming in again on Monday to interview for our publishing internship. Suzanne and Lisa were very impressed with you during the interview, and I'm happy to report that you have been selected for our 2011 spring semester internship!
If you'd like to accept the internship (and we hope you do!) please let me know if the time frame I've presented will work for you, and if you have any questions I can answer. Thank you so much for considering Deseret Book--we look forward to having you join us in January!
Little did I know that day last spring that less than a year later that I'd be walking through the big, beautiful glass doors of Deseret Book to start my first day there. Little did my teenage self know as she browsed for hours through the fiction section of the Cottonwood Mall Deseret Book that she would one day be closely-editing the front and back cover flaps of the books I held.
Deseret Book Company, here I come.
Congrats! i love you. Live the dream!
ReplyDeleteThis is so great! So exciting! Congratulations, congratulations, congratulations!
ReplyDeleteYou deserve it Kathryn. You've worked hard and you are one impressive girl. Go get 'em!
ReplyDelete