May 18, 2011

Fourth time's the charm


I wondered if the women sitting at the front desk in the Church Office Building recognized me when I walked up to them last Tuesday for the fourth time in 7 months to say the same thing I had said three times before: "Hi, I'm here to meet with (fill in the blank) on the (fill in the blank) floor." As far as I could tell, they didn't.
 At least this time I ventured below the 23rd and 24th floors and rode in the southern elevator to the 7th floor.

Last September 17th, I walked into the Church Office Building for the first time and rode the elevator up to the 24th floor with my future fiance to attend an information session for the Church magazines internships. Pretty soon after applying for the internships, I found out that I didn't make it.

A week or so later, I applied for the Church Publications Editorial internship and went the second time to the Church Office Building to take a proofreading test on the 23rd floor. I didn't get that internship either that time or when I tried a few months later. That brings my count to 3 tries. (I'm not even counting the time I applied for the FamilySearch internship and didn't make it past the application.)

Welfare Services, located on the 7th floor, is where I tried a fourth time to work for the Church and where I succeeded for the first time. The offer letter began, "On behalf of the Corporation of the Presiding Bishop of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints ("Employer"), I am pleased to offer you employment as an Intern, Editorial - Welfare Services." I didn't even know this position existed until a little over a week ago, but I'm pretty sure I've now exhausted the Church writing/editing internships option and found the jackpot--the zenith of all Church internships.

How exactly could it get any better than not only talking to people with inspiring welfare success stories but also writing them in such a way that people around the world curious about the Church's welfare program (like the UN and the Church around the world) see them as inspiring and successful too? I'm really not sure it gets any better. Or harder. Or more humbling. Or more overwhelming. Or more fulfilling.

One of the first things my interviewer said to me after looking at my resume was, "God must expect great things from you." I couldn't agree more. Did I get here by myself? No way. Anyone who knows what's happened in my life for the past little while can see that a Divine Power exists--One who knows my innermost desires and dreams. England, Study Abroad Office, Deseret Book, an incredible fiance, graduation...

and now all of this. God must expect great things from me.

2 comments:

  1. holy cow! congrats!!! I want to read some of the stuff you write...please. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, dear! Hooray hooray hooray! Of course, you'll do wonderful things.

    Wait, so does your new job include being the website content writer?

    It is interesting, isn't it, to think about what responsibilities we must have in store because of how blessed we've been?

    ReplyDelete