September 19, 2011

Like unto Temples



I recently learned firsthand that every detail of a temple is planned out and presented to the First Presidency before any ground is broken for it. The computer program-generated images look as real as a photograph. The intricate gold trim around the floor-length mirror in the Brides’ Room, the potted plant that sits to the left of the recommend desk, and the specific fabric that covers one of the chairs in the Celestial Room—all are included in the preparatory design.


Isn’t it fascinating that our bodies are often compared to temples? Paul asks the Corinthians, “Know ye not that ye are the temple of God?” (1 Cor. 3:16). Among many other comparisons between us and the temple, here is one that I really get:

“Every star is different, and so is every child,” we sang in Primary. Even twins have different personalities and life experiences. Just as every temple is different, so are we. And to accomplish that difference, the temple designers don’t just sit around and say, “Well, let’s have the dressing rooms switch sides on this one,” or “We’ll get the smaller sized potted plants this time,” and move onto the next temple. From a primary resource, I know that extensive care and research goes into every single architectural and interior design decision. Local traditions are considered, local artists are commissioned, and the “historicity” even comes into play.

When I think about Heavenly Father specifically designing my body from my incredible cardiovascular system that not only keeps me alive, but also does a little dance whenever Mike holds me, down to the hair follicle that graces the knuckle of my pinky finger, I understand a little bit more about how He knows me better than I know myself.

If you start to think about it, the similarities between us and the temple are endless! One that I’m particularly in awe of at the moment as I am on the verge of starting a family (in 2.5 weeks!) is that families are organized in the temple, and families are created by the functions of our bodies. Family, always family, is the height of excellence in the temple and in the body.


There is a lot more to say about the connotations of the Spirit dwelling in both the House of God and in our own temples. I would say that a personal study of this comparison yields the most fulfillment of all, so I will leave you to it.

For some awesome perspectives on temple architecture, check out this blog written by my sister-in-law's twin brother: http://thetrumpetstone.blogspot.com/.

2 comments:

  1. This is great! I just started reading through Scott's blog right before I came to yours. We had some requests in my temple prep class to teach about the symbolism in temple architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this post, Kathryn. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete