As I shut the lid of my washer on Wednesday night, I realized that I may be doing my last load of socks as a single woman--truly, a momentous occasion. It hit me that I'm coming to the end of my list of lasts. It's a list that started with my last Christmas living at home, and it will eventually include my last Sunday in my singles ward, my last FHE with my family as it is now, my last day of relying on my mom's grocery shopping (and having a clear conscience about it), and my last night of having the most comfortable bed in the world all to myself.
But it's also a list that includes my last day going through the daily grind on my own, my last night of leaving him on the doorstep with a kiss, and the last time I can only imagine what he was thinking about right before he went to bed and right after he got up in the morning.
As Mike reminded me tonight, we'll go through a re-birth of sorts when we get married. We'll give up some things, leaving traditions, routines, and parts of ourselves behind as we develop other parts of ourselves that have been waiting for the opportunity to be accessed by such a deep change. It's a leap of faith that will take us to a level of happiness we can't imagine now.
Mmm mmm mm. Savor those lasts!
ReplyDeleteAnd then there's so many firsts to be savored!