To gather addresses for wedding announcement purposes, Mike and I created a form into which everyone input his/her address. Just for kicks and giggles (as Dr. Feighery, Communications professor, would say), I put a optional "Comments" field into the form. I tell you, it really is one of the best decisions I've made so far in this wedding preparation journey. Mike and I have some pretty darn entertaining friends and family. Some comments made us smile and some made us guffaw. It made us grateful for having such a great support system.
Mike served his mission in Japan, and he likes to tell me some of the funny Japanese to English translations he's seen. I'm not sure how the relationship between the two languages came to be so entertaining, but I highly enjoy it. Some examples of Japanese to English translations are "the big happy" (= a yummy beverage), and "I feel peacefulness for this smiling face" (next to a picture of a cat). There are many many more.
We sent announcements to a few people Mike has remained close to in Japan. One woman filled out our form and wrote in the comments section. She wrote in kangi, which I can't read to save my life. Being the curious soul that I am, I quickly utilized the greatness of Google translate to figure out what it said:
"Happy marriage forever!
We find the same joy that your worthy opponent.
Please if you have a great love always deeply widely.
For all the countrymen for all women
Mayumi Matsui friends forever grateful to have met that "
I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I feel really great about how she mentions "forever" and "always." I also like the connotations behind "a great love", "always deeply widely," and "your worthy opponent."
This is cute. I want to see that list!
ReplyDelete